Visiting New York City!

by - August 20, 2017

I wanted to share my experience in New York City. I went back in September 2014 and it was the best city I've been to yet. I have always loved American things so stepping off the plane and being in a city I've wanted to visit for so long was the best feeling. I went with one of my best friends Hannah and this was our first holiday without any adults! So of course, we chose to go to the other side of the world.



We flew with Virgin and the flight was lovely. We watched loads of films, I listened to music and done a few sudoku's and word searches. They even give out mini fab lollies now which was one of the highlights of the flight. When we arrived my friend got taken off by security which was the scariest thing ever, so don't have your phone in your hand as that was the reason! 40 minutes later she came out, I even cried I had no idea what to do I just stood waiting for ages. Eventually we got our transfer and head to the hotel. We stayed in the Manhattan At Times Square hotel, I would 10/10 recommend. The room was lovely and spacious, the bed was the comfiest bed I have ever slept in, I still stand by that. The hotel was so close to Central Park and Times Square.

Once unpacked, we were both so tired and feeling a little strange because it was super late in the UK but only around 6pm in New York. We didn't want to stay in the hotel and sleep we had to at least go take a stroll to Times Square, which is exactly what we did. It was incredible, everything was lit up, it was so busy but that's a part of Times Square. It was all so surreal, we couldn't quite believe we had travelled all the way to America by ourselves and paid for this amazing holiday.


After a very long sleep which was needed. We walked through Times Square again which was much quieter in the morning. We got the subway to Brooklyn just to go to the Walmart there, stocked up on American sweets and other bits and bobs. We then headed back and went up the Empire State building. Unfortunately it was cloudy but that didn't matter to us, the view was still incredible!!


                 

We also went to Grand Central station and got some Baked by Melissa bitesize cupcakes to snack on. Which by the way are the most amazing cupcakes you have to get them! When I go back next year I am getting way more than 6. 6 is not enough.



That evening we did a lot of shopping in Times Square, I think I had at least 7 bags. We saved for so long so we deserved to treat ourselves. 

The next day we went to Ground Zero, where the Twin Towers once stood. The memorial was beautiful and so moving, it was very quiet and peaceful. 



We wanted to see the Statue of Liberty afterwards so thought we'd get a boat and do that. We didn't realise the Staten Island free ferry didn't take you there, I have no idea why we thought it did but we went straight past it, it was quite a funny moment but at least we had a nice little boat journey.



As we were only in NYC monday to friday we had a lot we wanted to do, as I'm writing this I'm thinking we did so much in one day but that was why. We didn't even do all the things we wanted to I definitely wish we went for a week instead. Carrying on with that day, we went to Little Italy/China Town/The Soho area. We found the Dash store, the Friends building and even a Christmas shop.


The next morning we went to Madame Tussauds, I've never been to any before. We got these NYC passes which you can find online that give you entry to pretty much all the places we went to on this trip, so I would really recommend them they include so much. We met some of our favourite celebs such as Selena Gomez, the Jonas Brothers.. unfortunately Taylor was getting her hair washed.


In Central Park we went to some of the fountains, such as the Friends one which looks nothing like the Friends one. We also went to the Zoo there but I wouldn't go again.



 Dylan's Candy Bar. Now this place was amazing, it has 3 floors, the first 2 are full of sweets and it smells like heaven, the top floor is a cafe. It's so good and so many celebrities have been there too, they had all signed stuff on the wall so we had fun looking at that. They even had a Photo Booth which of course we had to use.


That evening we went to the Top of the Rock. It is the best view of the city hands down. We actually went up there on the anniversary of 9/11. You could see two light beams where the Twin Towers once stood which was such an incredible thing to witness. I am so happy we decided to do that on that particular day. Enjoy some amazing photos I took of the amazing view.





Definitely a city worth visiting. New York definitely has my heart.
Until next time NYC...

- Shannon x

















You May Also Like

0 comments