Traveling Europe | AMSTERDAM

by - October 08, 2017


Day 3 - Paris to Amsterdam

On Wednesday 13th September we travelled from Paris to Amsterdam. I just want to add in that when we were waiting for our train at Gare Du Nord, security had bordered off some of the platforms, we had no idea why. They then were making everyone move back and blocked off even more. There were a couple announcements but they were in French so we had no idea what was going on. About 20-30 minutes later I heard the biggest bang ever and immediately started crying. With everything going on in the world I was so scared it was a bomb. My only idea of what it could be was a bag being left behind and it was a bomb scare. I assumed they done a controlled explosion of it, but it was so scary when you had no idea and I still have no idea what exactly happened.

Anyway! This was our first interrail train journey, I think it took about 3 hours which wasn't long at all. It was a nice journey, and I love that most trains we went on had wifi and plug sockets. When we arrived to Amsterdam we got the train to where our hotel was, it was just outside of the central bit but  trams were so cheap we didn't mind. We stayed in the Casa Amsterdam hotel and it was so good. It was really affordable, they had their own little theme going on and I loved it. There was even a cactus picture above my bed which I loved. We were on the top floor and had a really nice view.


We then got a tram to the I amsterdam sign as most tourists go there. Unfortunately there are loads of stickers on all the letters which is annoying as it looks so much better without them.


We went to Primark on the hunt for leggings as we had a long travel day coming up to Switzerland so wanted to be comfy, we found some "cozy" leggings and they are honestly my favourite I wish I bought 10 pairs. As we'd arrived in the evening we didn't do much exploring just walking around the shops, had some pizza for dinner then walked back. We both fancied a dessert so I had strawberries and chocolate sauce on a waffle and Jamey had chocolate coated churros! Both tasted amazing!!


In the city their travel is called GVB. At one point we were walking over a bridge and I see one of the trams coming our way, it was a freaking rainbow tram. Pride wasn't long ago so I have a feeling that's what it was for but they called it GayVB. Amsterdam I love you even more now.



On the way back we went past the I amsterdam sign again and since no one was there we took a few photos again!


Day 4 - Amsterdam

What can I say about this day? Rain, rain, rain... it did not stop. Of course I only bought 2 pairs of shoes and both were canvas so I had to deal with wet feet for at least 6 hours. Apart from the rain we still had a really good day.

We had a bit of a lay in then headed towards the center. We went to the Sex Museum which was the weirdest thing I've ever been to. You walk in and they've already got sex noises playing, the whole thing was really strange but something you just have to do when you go there.


We went to a Rubber Duck shop which was really expensive, I didn't think it would be otherwise I would have bought one, but it was super cute anyway so I took a couple photos instead. We also had some Amsterdam Frites for lunch, which are basically chips in a cone covered in a sauce of your choice. They were a solid 10/10.


We explored the rest of Amsterdam, going past pretty canals and finding random markets. We didn't mind the rain because Amsterdam still looks great even when it's raining. We took so many great photos and video shots.



The Fault in our Stars was filmed in Amsterdam and loads of people I know have gone to visit the bench. I knew I'd get there and be like "Oh it's just a bench" which was my reaction. You wouldn't know it was the bench they filmed on unless you searched it up. It was pretty cool though to know they'd been in the exact spot we were. People have attached a few locks to it now.


Hopefully next time I visit Amsterdam it'll be a little less rainy. I really enjoyed it though and would definitely come back.

- Shannon x

















You May Also Like

0 comments